Kris Walsh on Facebook
a year ago
05/14/2019, 09:24 AM
What I’ve learned about picking a roofing contractor:
- Any roofer looks good when things go smoothly. Bad roofers get exposed when things go sideways.
- NEVER sign a contract. Reputable companies don’t have to use this high pressure sales tactics.
- Make sure they will work with your insurance company for add-ons or ‘supplements’ to your estimate.
- Make sure they will do any ‘non-roof’ related work on your estimate and guarantee it.
Summary: Austin Southwest Roofing did a great job, worked with my insurance company on my behalf to get things added to my estimate and handled all of my ‘non-roof’ work.
We had some roof damage during one of the recent storms. I'm no roofing expert, so I did a little research and got pretty scared when I read some of the roofing contractor horror stories I found on the web.
My insurance company sent Austin Southwest Roofing to do my inspection. They told me they were a ‘Preferred Vendor’ and would work off of the insurance estimate if I chose them to do my roof. I knew I wanted to shop around, so I just took their information.
A few days later we had another storm and a leak showed up underneath the roof damage. Austin Southwest Roofing came back out, inspected the leak and got the repairs added to our estimate. They told me they would handle ALL damage associated with my claim and ALL of the work would be included in their warranty.
Some of my neighbors had roof work done recently, so I asked who they used. Austin Southwest Roofing had done a couple of them and my neighbors were very happy with them. I got some more names and ended up interviewing 5 ‘highly recommended’ roofers.
- All of them tried to get me to sign a contract.
- 3 of them said I wouldn’t have to pay my deductible. (which I found out is illegal)
- 4 of them said I would need to find someone to do the interior work on my own.
- The one that said he would do the interior work said it would not be covered under their warranty.
In the end, Austin Southwest Roofing was the most knowledgeable and professional company I spoke to. They had no high pressure sales tactics or contracts. The only thing they asked me to sign was an ‘Agreement to Proceed’ where I picked my shingle color. During the repair they found even more damage that was not on the estimate and got it added.
Needless to say, I am extremely satisfied with Austin Southwest Roofing and highly recommend them.