Facebook isn’t just the biggest social media platform in the world. It’s also a place where customers can discover new businesses through online reviews. Facebook reviews & recommendations help to provide social proof to your customers and help your business get discovered.
Let’s talk about how your business can start collecting more Facebook reviews and grow revenue.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 What you need to know about Facebook reviews
- Facebook reviews explained
- Facebook reviews are now recommendations
- Facebook reviews and visibility
- Facebook reviews and SEO
- Chapter 2 How to manage your Facebook reviews
- Creating a Facebook business page
- How to leave a review on Facebook
- How to ask for recommendations on Facebook
- Facebook review link
- Track Facebook reviews
- How to turn off Facebook reviews
- How to remove individual Facebook reviews
- How to report a review on Facebook
- Responding to Facebook reviews
- Tips for responding to positive reviews
- Tips for responding to negative reviews
- Tips for responding to fake reviews
- Frequently asked questions
- Try Birdeye, The #1 Reviews Software
Chapter 1 What you need to know about Facebook reviews
Here’s what every business owner needs to know about Facebook reviews.
Facebook reviews explained
Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms on the Internet. It’s estimated that Facebook has more than 2.6 billion monthly active users. This presents a great opportunity for customers and prospects to engage with your business on the platform. They can like, share and comment on posts. Use Facebook Messenger to communicate directly with the business and can also leave a review (recommendation) showing their satisfaction.
Reviews posted on Facebook are meant to represent the genuine experiences of real customers. As a result, potential customers value the social proof they provide. Studies show that 92% of customers consult reviews before making any purchase decision. Facebook is the second-largest review site on the Internet, right behind Google reviews.
Facebook reviews are now recommendations
Facebook’s review system is unique since it’s one of the few review sites on the Internet that doesn’t use the overall star rating system.
While Facebook had used the overall star rating for many years, in 2018, the social media giant decided to switch to a binary system. Instead of recommending your business out of 5 stars, customers now have just two options to rate your business: Recommend or Don’t Recommend.
All of your old reviews are factored in as part of your Recommendation Score. This score takes into account your old reviews posted under the overall review rating as well as the ratio of customers who would recommend your business.
Facebook reviews and visibility
In its early days, Facebook had a proprietary algorithm called EdgeRank which determined what content showed up on users’ News Feed. The algorithm was based on three factors:
- AffinityAffinity measures how much the user has interacted with your page in the past. The more they interact with the page, the more likely it is that you’ll show up in their News Feeds.
- WeightWeight measures the importance of each different interaction. Facebook sees some interactions as more important than others. For example, a review with a photo or a video is a more important interaction than a plain-text review.
- Time DecayThis factor measures how long ago the customer’s interaction with your business took place. The more time passes, the less importance EdgeRank gives to the interaction.
Facebook’s proprietary algorithm has gotten more and more complicated over the years. However, these three factors of affinity, weight, and time decay still hold great importance in determining what shows up in users’ News Feeds.
Facebook reviews affect two of these three factors: affinity and weight. That means the more reviews your business gets, the greater the likelihood of potential customers discovering your Facebook profile.
Facebook reviews and SEO
Facebook reviews don’t just help your business get discovered on Facebook. The more Facebook reviews that you have, the more visible your business is on search engines. Since reviews highlight the authentic opinion of local customers, Google values them highly when determining search ranking. According to Moz, reviews are the third-largest factor determining local search ranking.
It’s not just Google reviews that matter when it comes to SEO. Collecting reviews on all sites will help your business rank higher in relevant search results. Facebook is no exception. Since Facebook is an authoritative site, reviews posted on its platform are valued by Google.
Chapter 2 How to manage your Facebook reviews
Here’s how your business can get started collecting and managing
Creating a Facebook business page
In order to start collecting Facebook reviews, you will need to create a Facebook business page. If you haven’t done this already, here’s how you can get started.
- 1. Sign in to your Facebook account, then click the button on the top-right that says “Create”.
- 2. You’ll see a dropdown menu with a few different options. Pick the first option “Page”.
- 3. Next, click the option on the left that says Business or Brand. Choose the option more relevant to you.
- 4. You will be asked to select a Profile photo and Cover photo. If you don’t have photos that you want to use on-hand, you can skip this option.
For more information, check our guide on creating a Facebook business page.
How to leave a review on Facebook
- Here’s how your customers can leave a review on Facebook for your business..Sign in to Facebook.
- Find the relevant business profile.
- Click the “Reviews” tab on the left side of the screen.
4. Click “Yes” or “No” on the question asking whether you recommend the business.
5. Write a description explaining why you recommend or don’t recommend the business. The minimum description you can write is 25 characters.
How to ask for recommendations on Facebook
Want to collect more recommendations on Facebook? Here’s how you can get started.
- Make the Process Simple and Easy The harder the process of leaving a review is for the customer, the less likely they are to actually do it. A happy customer might say they’re willing to leave a review in person but might forget to do it as soon as they leave your store. After all, who has time to go and find your business’s Facebook page? Luckily, there’s a way to make the process quick and easy for the customer. Just send review requests email and texts that link directly to your Facebook business page. All the customer has to do is click the link and leave a review.
- Timing is everything to get the best results, make sure that you’re sending review requests on a regular basis. We’ve found that businesses get the best results when they send review requests on the same day as when a customer interacts with your business. If a customer gets a review request a month after the transaction took place, they may no longer have a clear memory of the sale. In this case, chances are that even your most satisfied customers may not write a review for your business.
- Ask All of Your Customers for Reviews Some businesses are tempted to only ask a certain group of customers for reviews, who they know they think probably leave a positive review. When you are selective with review requests, you only end up hurting your business. You’re missing out on sending review requests to customers who probably would’ve recommended your business. You’re also missing the opportunity to get honest feedback that can help you improve your business. So make sure you’re sending review requests to all of your customers.
Facebook review link
In order to send Facebook reviews requests, it’s important to send a link directly to the review section of your profile. Here’s how you can get started.
- Find your Facebook page URL.
- Add /reviews/ to the end of the link. When a customer clicks on your link, they’ll be taken directly to the reviews tab on your business page.
3. Check the link to make sure that it works. If you’ve decided to turn off your reviews, this will be a broken link.
Once you have a working link, you can start including it in email and text review requests that you can send to your customers.
Track Facebook reviews
To make sure that you get notifications for every new Facebook review, make sure that you follow the following steps.
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ section of your Facebook page.
- Click the ‘Notifications’ tab.
- Select the option ‘Get a notification each time there is activity on your Page.
4. Now, the ‘New Reviews’ notifications option will be turned on.
Once you do this, you’ll be able to stay on top of all the reviews that get posted to your Facebook business page.
How to turn off Facebook reviews
You do have the option to turn off customer reviews on your Facebook business page. Once you do this, visitors to your page cannot see any reviews, positive or negative.
Here’s how you can turn off all customer reviews:
1. Click on Settings at the top of your Facebook Business page.
2. From the menu on the left, select ‘Templates and Tabs’.
3. Click on ‘Settings’ next to Reviews.
4. You’ll see a slider labeled “Show Reviews”. Turn this from “On” to “Off”.
5. Save your changes.
Even though you can turn off reviews on your Facebook business page, we do not recommend it. If you are worried about getting negative reviews consider actively soliciting reviews from all your customers. Most of the time, only customers who feel that they’ve had strong negative experiences are motivated to leave reviews. Soliciting reviews is an easy way to balance the scales.
How to remove individual Facebook reviews
There is no way for a business owner to remove Facebook reviews posted on their business page without turning off reviews entirely. The only people who can delete these reviews are Facebook moderators or the reviewer who wrote them.
While you can report Facebook reviews (more on that in the next section), there’s no guarantee that Facebook will actually remove the review. That’s why we recommend responding to the review (more on that later).
How to report a review on Facebook
- Here’s how you can report a review that you think is fake.1.Find the review that you want to report.
2. Click the three icons on the top right of the review.
3. Find the dropdown item that’s labeled “Find Support or Report Review
4. Pick your reason for reporting the review.
5. Choose your reason, then click the “Next” button. You’ll see this screen.
Responding to Facebook reviews
Customers expect responses to their reviews. This is a great way to show that your business is willing to listen to the problems of each individual customer. A study by Harvard Business Review showed that when businesses respond to all their customer reviews, they typically see more reviews and a higher overall star rating.
Here’s how you can respond to a Facebook review.
- Find the review that you want to respond to within the Reviews tab on your Facebook business page.
2. Comment on the review the same way that you would comment on one of your friend’s Facebook posts.
Tips for responding to positive reviews
Here’s how you can respond to positive Facebook reviews.
- Thank the customer for the feedback- A “thank you” can go a long way in showing your appreciation and building customer loyalty.
- Keep it short and sweet- Responding to a positive review is should be short and sweet. There’s no reason to turn it into a long essay.
- Encourage the customer to come back- Leave a short note to show the customer you’d be happy to serve them again. This can be as simple as “We hope to see you soon!”
Tips for responding to negative reviews
Here’s how you can respond to negative Facebook reviews.
- Apologize for the bad experience- The first step is simply saying “Sorry”. Show the customer that you regret their negative experience.
- Be polite- A bad review can be frustrating, but avoid the urge to lash out. It’s important to be polite because other customers are looking at your review responses to see what kind of service they can expect from you.
- Ask the customer to contact you directly- Provide a phone number or an email so that the customer can contact you. That way, any potential back and forth will not be in public view. Plus, if you’re able to resolve the problem in a private setting, there’s a good chance the customer can be persuaded to edit or even delete their original review.
Tips for responding to fake reviews
If you see a review that you think didn’t come from a real customer, call it out. While you should remain polite, you should also let potential customers who read the review know that it isn’t an accurate representation of your customer experience.
How to embed Facebook reviews
Want to share your Facebook reviews on your website? Here’s how you can get started.
- Go to the relevant review on your Facebook business page.
- Click the three dots on the top right of the review.
- Click “Embed” from the drop-down menu.
5. Copy the code and paste it on your website.
Of course, copy and pasting each Facebook review to your website can be unnecessarily time-consuming. Instead, try embedding a Facebook review widget on your site that updates in real-time. That way, you don’t have to go back and embed every glowing review that you get.
Frequently asked questions
Are Facebook reviews still available?
Yes, Facebook reviews are still available, however, they are now called Facebook recommendations.
There is no way that customers can leave anonymous Facebook reviews. The name and the profile of the reviewer will always be visible.
Under no circumstance should you ever buy a Facebook review. Facebook has the right to ban businesses from the platform for violating terms of service. Buying Facebook reviews risks you losing access to the world’s biggest social network. Plus, buying reviews will only undermine customer trust. If customers suspect that your reviews are fake, they’ll do their best to steer clear of your business.
No, you cannot delete a negative review on Facebook, however, if the review is spam or does not adhere to Facebook’s standards, then you can report it. Simply, login to your Facebook Business page, select the review that is malicious, find the three dots, and select the “report post” option.
Yes, you can embed your Facebook reviews on your website. On your Facebook Business page, select the “Reviews” tab, then select the review you want to add to your website. After clicking on the three dots, select the “Embed” option. Copy the code and then embed the code where you want the plugin to appear on your website.
Try Birdeye, The #1 Reviews Software
Birdeye is the most comprehensive reputation management software on the market. With Birdeye you can automatically send review requests, respond to customer reviews from 150+ sites in a single dashboard, get actionable insights with Natural Language Processing (NLP), and get a custom-built profile that will help your business get discovered by customers.
There’s no competitor on the market that offers all these services in a single platform. In fact, Birdeye has been named the #1 company in the reputation management space by G2 8 straight times.
Find out how Birdeye can help you get more Facebook reviews.