Over 4.89 billion people use social media worldwide. It is one of the most significant ways of connecting with people and brands. But to do that successfully, it is important to play by the rules of the social media companies especially when it comes to social media image sizes.
For small businesses and social media managers creating content, too many details can be hard to track. And that is why this blog post covers all the social media image sizes you need to succeed across all channels.
Table of contents
Instagram image sizes
There’s a very good reason to take advantage of Instagram as a business. It offers the best in-app shopping experience, and for marketers, it offers the highest return on investment (ROI) for selling products.
The standard square images are still alive and well on Instagram, but now you can mix things up with landscape and portrait image sizes as well. In terms of videos, Reels have never been hotter. All your content can be shared to your stories too.
And now, with the addition of Instagram Shopping, you can set up a full-fledged digital storefront to sell your products.
To ensure your success on Instagram, you should always be using high-quality images at the right dimensions. Here’s what you need to know.
Instagram image sizes for profile picture
While Instagram profile pictures are displayed at 110 x 110 pixels, it is recommended that you upload an image that’s at least 320 x 320 pixels. This ensures that your profile picture doesn’t just look good on mobile phones but also on the web and the desktop app.
While you will need to upload a square format image, don’t forget that it will be displayed as a circle on the platform. So, ensure that important elements don’t get cut off and the most important elements appear at the center of the image.
Instagram image sizes for post
Three basic types of image sizes are suited to the Instagram feed:
- Square: Image is 1080 x 1080 pixels, 1:1 aspect ratio.
- Portrait: Image is 1080 x 1350 pixels, 4:5 aspect ratio.
- Landscape: Image is 1080 x 566 pixels, 1.91:1 aspect ratio.
Here are some good things to keep in mind in your social media promotional efforts:
- You can use multiple images to create carousels.
- Square posts are never cropped and are, therefore, ideal for most purposes.
- Instagram supports an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- Instagram will crop your photo to support their aspect ratio if your image features a different ratio.
Instagram Reels sizes
Instagram Reels video size is 1080 x 1920 pixels, with the precise aspect ratio of 9:16. Instagram
Reels cover photos are 1080 x 1920 pixels as well, though they are cropped to a 1:1 image in your profile feed and 4:5 in the home feed.
As much as possible, place all important text at the center of your Reel instead of the top or the bottom of the video.
Instagram image sizes for Stories
Instagram image sizes for stories are the same as Reels, at 1080 x 1920 pixels with a 9:16 aspect ratio.
Instagram stories are best shared spontaneously throughout the day, as doing so will put your profile more frequently in front of your followers. Plus, you can use an Instagram story to ask questions, share links, poll your audience, and more.
Instagram image sizes for carousel
It is recommended that your Instagram carousel images are set to 1080 x 1080 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 1:1, in JPG or PNG format. Images can be up to 30 MB per card. You can use two to 10 images for your carousel.
Instagram image sizes for video thumbnail
The recommended thumbnail size for Reels is 1080 x 1080 pixels.
Facebook image sizes
Facebook remains the behemoth among social media giants. With nearly three billion active monthly users, reaching your target audience on Facebook is a matter of setting up the right content and engagement strategy.
Facebook image sizes for profile picture
You will need to prepare a square image for your Facebook profile picture. As with Instagram, your profile picture will be shown as a circle, so remember to put the key information at the center of the picture.
- Profile picture size: 180×180 pixels
Facebook image sizes for cover photo
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to upload a custom Facebook cover photo because these offer significant retail space to showcase your team or brand, promote your latest product, direct audiences to your website, and more.
For best results, use a JPG or PNG file smaller than 100KB. The left-hand side of your cover photo may not be fully visible, so keep important text and imagery to the center and the right side of the cover image. Use the following cover photo sizes for best results:
- Computer: 851 x 315 pixels.
- Smartphones: 640 x 360 pixels.
Facebook image sizes for posts
Photos and images are an excellent way to keep your audiences engaged. Since you will likely be posting images frequently, memorize these image sizes or keep them handy at all times:
- Recommended timeline photo size: 1200 x 630 pixels.
- Carousel image size: 1200 x 1200 pixels.
- Minimum size: 600 x 315 pixels.
Facebook image sizes for Stories
Facebook stories work much like Instagram stories in that they take over the entire screen of a mobile device. When crafting a story (or using an existing piece of content as a story,) you’ll want to make sure that the key information is at the center of the screen rather than at the top or bottom. That way, your audiences won’t miss out on the purpose of your post.
Facebook stories are 1080 x 1920 pixels with an aspect ratio of 9:16.
Facebook image sizes for Ads
When it comes to Facebook ad image sizes, there are many types. You’ll want to create content assets tailored to the ad type:
- Feed ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1.91:1 to 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Carousel ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Right-column ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1:1, with a minimum size of 254 x 133 pixels.
- Sponsored message: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1.91:1 to 1:1, maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Messenger ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1.91:1 to 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Messenger inbox ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Messenger stories ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Marketplace ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Search: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1.91:1 to 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Instant articles: 1080 x 1080 pixels, aspect ratio of 1.91:1 to 1:1, with a maximum file size of 30 MB.
- In-stream video ads: Highest resolution possible, aspect ratio of 9:16 to 16:9, MP4 or MOV, with a maximum file size of 4 GB.
Facebook sizes for Reels
Facebook Reels have a resolution of 500 x 888 pixels. You can use three to 30-second videos in a 9:16 aspect ratio in MP4 or MOV format. Video size should not exceed 4 GB.
LinkedIn image sizes
For professional social networking, LinkedIn stands at the top of the social media heap. For finding professional networks, business-to-business (B2B) clients, and even future talent for your company, it’s worth building your presence on the platform.
LinkedIn isn’t as graphics-heavy as other social media sites, but that doesn’t mean you should arrive at the platform unprepared. When you utilize images, you should use high-quality ones to make a good impression.
LinkedIn image sizes for profile picture
LinkedIn profile pictures have an aspect ratio of 1:1. It is recommended that you use an image size of 300 x 300 pixels with a file size of up to 8 MB. Also, use JPG or PNG files for all images on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn image sizes for cover photo
LinkedIn cover photos have an aspect ratio of 4:1. The recommended size is 1128 x 191 pixels, with a file size that’s less than 8 MB.
LinkedIn image sizes for posts
The recommended image size for posts varies based on the type of content.
- Square single or carousel: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Portrait single or carousel: 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Landscape single or carousel: 1200 x 627 pixels.
- Article featured image: 1200 x 644 pixels.
- Article banner image: 600 x 322 pixels.
- Video sizes: 256 x 144 pixels minimum to 4096 x 2304 pixels maximum, with a size of 75 KB to 200 MB. Up to 10 minutes in length.
- Stories image size: 1080 x 1920 pixels.
LinkedIn image sizes for Ads
Use the following as a reference for LinkedIn advertising:
- Company logo: 100 x 100 pixels.
- Sponsored content: 1200 x 627 pixels, 1.91:1 aspect ratio.
- Sponsored content carousel: 1080 x 1080 pixels, 1:1 aspect ratio.
- Spotlight ads custom background: 300 x 250 pixels.
LinkedIn image sizes for business pages
The main image dimensions you should be aware of for your company page are as follows:
- Company logo: 300 x 300 pixels for a large logo, 60 x 60 pixels for a small logo. Aspect ratio of 1:1. You can use JPG, GIF, or PNG file formats. Large logos can be 4 MB or smaller, and small logos can be 2 MB or smaller.
- Company cover: Minimum upload size of 1192 x 220 pixels. Recommended upload size of 1536 x 758 pixels. It will be displayed at 1400 x 425 pixels. You can use JPG, GIF, or PNG files. Your cover cannot exceed 4 MB.
LinkedIn image sizes for link posts
Link posts should be 1600 x 627 pixels, which is also the maximum upload size. Use a JPG, GIF, or PNG. Link posts will ultimately be displayed at 552 x 289 pixels.
TikTok image sizes
TikTok is one of the hottest and most widely used social media platforms for Gen Z. The highly visual platform should prove easy to navigate for businesses, however, as there are only a few image and video sizes to be aware of.
TikTok image sizes for profile picture
Your TikTok profile picture is 20 x 20 pixels and can be a JPG or PNG.
TikTok image sizes for ads
There are two types of TikTok ad placements, and image sizes will vary based on the ad type you’ve selected.
- Global App Bundle: 720 x 1280 pixels. Can be a JPG, JPEG, or PNG within 100 MB.
- Pangle Image Ads: 1280 x 628 pixels, 640 x 640 pixels, or 720 x 1280 pixels. Can be a JPG, JPEG, or PNG within 100 MB.
TikTok image sizes for videos
The TikTok video size is 1080 x 1920 pixels with an aspect ratio range of 1:1, 9:16, or 16:9.
Twitter image sizes
Twitter is an excellent platform for text-based and visual content alike. Use a healthy mix of quotes, attention-grabbing stats, photos, images, graphics, and Twitter cards to boost engagement.
Twitter image sizes for profile picture
The recommended file size for your Twitter profile picture is 400 x 400 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 1:1 and a maximum file size of 2 MB.
Twitter image sizes for header
Twitter header photos should be 1500 x 500 pixels and have an aspect ratio of 3:1, with a maximum file size of 5 MB.
The lower left-hand side of your header photo can be obscured by your profile picture, so avoid putting important information there.
Twitter image sizes for posts
To avoid the cropping of your in-stream photos, use the following settings:
- Dimensions: 1600 x 900 pixels, 1080 x 1080 pixels, or 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Aspect ratio: 2:1 or 1:1 for desktop use, 2:1, 3:4, or 16:9 for mobile use.
- Maximum file size: 15 MB on a desktop and 5 MB on a smartphone for photos and GIFs.
- Supported image formats: JPG, GIF, and PNG.
Twitter image sizes for ads
You will need to prepare images of varying sizes depending on the type of ad you’re planning to run.
- Website card size: 800 x 418 pixels, 1.91:1 aspect ratio, with a maximum file size of 20 MB.
- App card image size: 800 x 800 pixels, 1:1 aspect ratio, with a maximum file size of 3 MB.
- Carousel size: 800 x 800 pixels, 1:1: aspect ratio, with a maximum file size of 20 MB. Two to six image cards total.
- Direct Message card size: 800 x 418 pixels, 1.91:1 aspect ratio, with a maximum file size of 3 MB.
- Conversation card size: 800 x 418 pixels, 1.91:1 aspect ratio, with a maximum file size of 3 MB.
- Standalone video ads size: 1200 x 1200 pixels with a 1:1 aspect ratio or 1920 x 1080 pixels and a corresponding 16:9 aspect ratio. 5 MB is the maximum file size.
Snapchat image sizes
Snapchat image sizes are effectively the same as TikTok image sizes, making the two transferable.
Snapchat image sizes for Stories
Snapchat stories should be 1080 x 1920 pixels with a maximum file size of 34 MB. The duration of your stories must be 10 seconds or less.
Snapchat image sizes for ads
Snapchat has multiple ad types depending on how you want to advertise your business. Here are the main placement options you should be aware of:
- Single image ads: 1080 x 1920 pixels with an aspect ratio of 9:16. JPG and PNG files accepted.
- Collection ads: 1080 x 1920 pixels with an aspect ratio of 9:16. JPG or PNG files accepted.
- Story ads: 1080 x 1920 pixels and an accompanying aspect ratio of 9:16. JPG or PNG files accepted.
- Filters: 1080 x 2340 pixels. PNG files accepted. The image must include a logo or brand name. Mandatory text cannot be placed within 310 pixels of the top or bottom of the image.
Snapchat images sizes for filter images
Geofilter images should be 1080 x 1920 pixels.
Pinterest image sizes
There are mixed reports regarding Pinterest’s growth or lack thereof. It has a loyal audience and is one of the friendliest places on the internet. Companies with visual content, especially content appealing to women, can find a strong customer base on Pinterest.
Pinterest image sizes for profile photo
Your Pinterest profile image should be 165 x 165 pixels. Your image will be placed in a circle, so keep the focus in the center of the image.
Pinterest image sizes for cover photo
It’s recommended that your Pinterest cover photo be 800 x 450 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Use a landscape image for best results.
Pinterest image sizes for Pins
There are two main types of pins. Note that if your image exceeds an aspect ratio of 2:3, your pin may be cropped when others are viewing their Pinterest feeds.
- Square pins: 1000 x 1000 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 1:1. Up to 20 MB file size, JPG and PNG supported.
- Portrait pins: 1000 x 1500 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 2:3. Up to 20 MB file size, JPG and PNG supported.
Pinterest image sizes for carousels
Your Pinterest carousel images should have a 1:1 square aspect ratio or a 2:3 portrait aspect ratio. You can use two to five PNG or JPEGs, with a maximum file size of up to 20 MB per image.
Pinterest image sizes for Ads
You can use the same specifications as pins for Pinterest ads.
YouTube image sizes
If you’re looking to set up your YouTube channel, there are several image sizes you should be mindful of.
YouTube image sizes for profile photo
Use an 800 x 800 pixel JPEG, PNG, BMP, or GIF for your profile photo. Note that your profile image will render at 98 x 98 pixels and be cropped in a circle.
YouTube image sizes for banner
Your YouTube banner should be 2048 x 1152 pixels with an accompanying aspect ratio of 16:9. It cannot exceed 6 MB in size.
YouTube image sizes for thumbnail
YouTube thumbnails should always be 1280 x 720 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Your file size cannot exceed 2 MB.
Custom thumbnails can boost engagement on your videos and are well worth considering, especially if you plan to grow your channel.
YouTube sizes for videos
YouTube videos can have a minimum size of 1280 x 720 pixels and a maximum size of 3840 x 2160 pixels with an accompanying aspect ratio of 16:9.
Why are social media image sizes important?
Using the right social media image sizes can mean the difference between reaching a wider audience or consistently reducing reach.
It is important to have this guide handy, so that you can avoid the following consequences:
- Images not following recommended guidelines get cropped in other people’s feeds, obscuring information you want them to see.
- If your file sizes exceed the allowed limit, you will need to compress your images to be able to use them, impacting quality.
- Having the right images with the right dimensions and file sizes ensures that you can get your brand and messaging across to your audience uninterrupted.
Master social media creation with Birdeye
Managing your company’s social media presence can be time-consuming and resource-intensive. Omnichannel marketing may be the name of the game, but without the right resources, teamwork, and social media management tools, it can be an uphill battle.
With Birdeye Social, you can:
- Personalize posts based on your business location.
- Publish content, monitor engagement, and handle reporting across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, and Google.
- Turn your five-star reviews into engaging social media posts.
- And much more.
FAQs about social media image sizes
Aspect ratio depends on the social media platform. The most common aspect ratio, however, is 1:1, which is common on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest.
The most common size for an Instagram post is 1080 x 1080 pixels. This is also the ideal image size for creating carousels.
Yes. Images using the wrong size can be cropped in user feeds, obscuring important information. Further, images with the wrong dimensions or formats can be unusable, preventing you from posting or advertising.
Social media marketing best practices begin with understanding the platforms. That includes knowing what photo sizes to use on each of the networks you’re building a presence on. Take the time necessary to establish standards with your social media and graphic design team. This will ensure that everything you create is ready to be shared and can generate the intended marketing value.