Director of Data Engineering at Birdeye in Palo Alto - Apply now!R&DFull-time
Once upon a time, local businesses could attract customers through advertising and word of mouth. However, that has all changed. Today consumers choose where to spend their money based on online reputation and digital experiences. Modern companies must deliver exceptional experiences that create repeat customers and need a platform that can do this at scale. Local businesses often need help to overcome the complexity and inefficiencies of using multiple applications to manage and optimize their marketing and customer experience operations. Their use of fragmented point solutions keeps them from achieving true customer insights and acting upon them in real time.
This is the challenge that Birdeye solves with its all-in-one reputation and customer experience platform. More than 100,000 local businesses and brands use Birdeye to be found online through local listings and reviews; engage with consumers through webchat, text, and social media messaging; collect digital payments; and gain insights to improve customer experience with survey, ticketing and benchmarking tools.
Birdeye is the leading all-in-one platform trusted by over 100,000 businesses of all sizes to manage online reputation, connect with customers, and generate insights. Founded in 2012 by Naveen (the 2021 EY Entrepreneur of the Year) and Neeraj Gupta, Birdeye is base in Palo Alto, CA, and backed by investors Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang, and Accel-KKR. Learn more at birdeye.com.
As the Director of Data Engineering, you will be a strategic leader responsible for overseeing and guiding the development and management of Birdeye data infrastructure, architecture, and engineering processes. You will lead a team of skilled data and BI engineers, collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, and play a pivotal role in driving data-driven decision-making throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will possess a strong blend of technical expertise, leadership acumen, and a deep understanding of data management best practices.
- Define and communicate a data engineering strategy that capitalizes on the capabilities of Snowflake and Tableau to support our business objectives.
- Provide visionary leadership to the data engineering team, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and excellence.
- Build, mentor, and manage a high-performing team of data engineers with expertise in Snowflake and Tableau.
- Set clear expectations, provide regular feedback, and assess team performance against established goals.
Data Infrastructure and Architecture:
- Architect, implement, and optimize data pipelines, ETL processes, and data integration solutions using Snowflake's cloud data platform.
- Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and stakeholders to ensure the availability of high-quality, well-structured data for analysis and reporting in Tableau.
Snowflake and Tableau Expertise:
- Serve as the resident expert on Snowflake and Tableau, providing guidance on best practices, optimizations, and advanced functionality.
- Design and maintain Snowflake databases, warehouses, and data models for optimal performance and scalability.
Collaboration and Integration:
- Partner with business units, data scientists, and analysts to understand data requirements and design solutions that align with organizational goals.
- Implement effective integration between Snowflake and Tableau, enabling seamless data access and visualization.
Data Governance and Compliance:
- Establish and enforce data governance standards, ensuring data quality, security, and compliance with industry regulations.
- Monitor and manage data access, permissions, and auditing within Snowflake and Tableau environments.
- Lead end-to-end data engineering projects involving Snowflake and Tableau, from inception to deployment and monitoring.
- Prioritize tasks, allocate resources, and ensure timely project delivery.
Performance Monitoring and Optimization:
- Monitor the performance of Snowflake and Tableau environments, identifying opportunities for optimization and efficiency improvements.
- Implement strategies for enhancing query performance, minimizing data processing time, and optimizing resource utilization.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science, or a related field.
- Proven experience (4+ years) in data engineering, with a proven track record of successful data projects involving Snowflake and Tableau.
- Strong leadership skills with experience managing and developing teams of data engineers.
- Expertise in Snowflake's cloud data platform, including data warehousing, database design, and SQL optimization.
- Proficiency in Tableau, with the ability to design and develop interactive visualizations and dashboards.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, Java, Scala, or similar.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing business requirements.
- Strong communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience with data governance, security, and compliance practices is a plus.
Join our dynamic team and lead the charge in leveraging data as a strategic asset. As the Director of Data Engineering, you'll play a crucial role in shaping our data-driven future and driving innovation across the organization.