There used to be a quick answer to “What is auto repair marketing?” Old-fashioned word of mouth was the best way to get the word out about your auto repair shop. But now, most customers start their search online.
That means you need more strategies in your pocket to stand out from your competitors.
Below, we delve deeper into 13 auto repair marketing strategies to boost your business.
Table of contents
- What is auto repair marketing?
- Why is marketing for the auto repair business important?
- 13 Auto repair marketing strategies you should check out
- 1. Set up your website for content marketing and authority
- 2. Use digital marketing to increase the online reputation of your auto repair shop
- 3. Focus on search engine optimization for better visibility
- 4. Use social media marketing for brand awareness
- 5. Purchase PPC ads to improve search results for your auto service
- 6. Claim business listings to generate leads
- 7. Encourage customer reviews to build social proof
- 8. Collaborate with influencers to attract new customers
- 9. Run a loyalty program to drive repeat business
- 10. Implement a referral program to reach more customers
- 11. Participate in local community events to showcase your services
- 12. Film auto repair videos for DIY enthusiasts
- 13. Always follow up with customers that visit your repair shop
- Strategies to retain existing customers
- Trends in auto repair marketing in 2023
- What are the best platforms for advertising auto repair services?
- Challenges in auto repair marketing
- Power of online reviews in building trust for your auto repair business
- Case study of marketing done right with Birdeye
- FAQs on auto repair marketing
- Marketing your business effectively with Birdeye
What is auto repair marketing?
Auto repair marketing refers to the strategies and activities implemented by auto repair businesses to promote their services, attract customers, and build brand awareness. Various marketing techniques and channels are used to reach and engage potential clients who need automotive repair and maintenance services.
The primary goal of auto repair marketing is to showcase the value and expertise of the repair shop and create a positive brand image.
Why is marketing for the auto repair business important?
Auto repair shop marketing is important for the following reasons:
- Brand awareness: Building your brand takes time, but the right marketing strategy will speed up this process.
- Build trust: Consumers have trust issues with auto repair shops without significant social proof and positive customer reviews.
- Customer loyalty: A big part of auto repair shop marketing involves turning first-time customers into long-term advocates.
- Visibility: Cement your auto repair shop in customers’ minds.
13 Auto repair marketing strategies you should check out
The auto repair industry was worth $880 million in 2023 alone. Following these strategies will help you remain visible in this ever-growing market:
1. Set up your website for content marketing and authority
A website with a clear content marketing strategy lets a potential customer learn more about your repair shop and its services.
Invest in a professionally designed website that’s easy to navigate. And include information about common car issues, images, and videos showing how your workshop solves these issues.
Benefits of having a website with a content strategy for your auto repair shop
A. Helpful and informative content builds trust with potential customers. B. Even if you have a small business, a professional website with quality content elevates the perception of your brand.
2. Use digital marketing to increase the online reputation of your auto repair shop
Digital marketing is a relatively inexpensive way to promote your small business online. A marketing strategy using ad campaigns on Google and Facebook is usually cheaper than advertising on print, radio, and television.
Expand your content marketing efforts by posting content on your social media channels. Reach new customers on the cheap with email marketing. Boost your marketing efforts by linking to a landing page in all your online marketing channels.
Benefits of using digital marketing to boost online reputation
A. Increases your online presence and builds brand awareness B. Increases your reach without relying on expensive advertising methods
3. Focus on search engine optimization for better visibility
Your website won’t appear in Google searches if you’re not using search engine optimization methods.
SEO involves content marketing, creating backlinks, and making sure your blog posts rank for the most relevant keywords. Rank in local SEO results by setting up a Google Business Profile for lead generation and local SEO.
Benefits of SEO for enhancing visibility
A. SEO helps your website achieve first-page page ranking and appear above competitors in searches. B. It helps boost local SEO, like your Google Business Profile, which appears first in searches.
4. Use social media marketing for brand awareness
Most of your customers use social media platforms. Be active on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and YouTube. Focus on sharing valuable content your target audience will find useful.
Post one promo post for every five social media posts to avoid coming across as salesy. Share expert posts from authority figures within the auto repair industry. Try sharing user-generated content (UGC) from your customers.
Benefits of social media marketing for elevating your brand online
A. Keep active on every social media platform where your target audience is to build a following and increase brand awareness. B. The right type of content and comments will make your auto service more trustworthy.
5. Purchase PPC ads to improve search results for your auto service
First-page ranking via SEO methods takes time. While you wait, try PPC ads, such as Google Ads. You bid on ads based on keywords like “auto repair shop” or “auto service.” Once you win the bid, your ad will appear above Google’s organic listings.
Benefits of PPC ads for gaining first-page ranking quickly
A. Google Ads guarantees that users will see your ads first. B. PPC ads target customers based on their demographics, so you never waste money on users that aren't near you.
6. Claim business listings to generate leads
A rock-solid auto repair shop marketing strategy involves effective business listing management on several auto services platforms, local businesses, and review sites. Start by claiming your business listings on Google, Yellow Pages, and Yahoo. Then, do the same on industry-specific sites like AutoMD, CarLove, and RepairPal.
Keep your business pages consistent so you don’t confuse customers if they see your profile on multiple sites.
Benefits of claiming business listings for lead generation
A. Users on auto repair review sites are ready to buy. B. Claiming your business listings gives you a larger digital footprint.
7. Encourage customer reviews to build social proof
Ask customers to leave a review on a social media platform or review site. Ask in person or send an email or SMS text reminder later.
Benefits of having many customer reviews
A. A large number of positive customer reviews build social proof and trust. B. It's easier to sway a potential customer with favorable reviews.
8. Collaborate with influencers to attract new customers
Find influencers in your local area. Look for popular car reviewers, social media influencers, streamers, and vloggers. Then, let them promote your auto service and content via sponsored deals.
Benefits of collaborating with influencers
A. Your brand reaches a wider audience through these influencers. B. Influencers serve specific niches such as auto repair.
9. Run a loyalty program to drive repeat business
Implement a loyalty program. Most customers will visit your repair shop at least once a year for their annual car maintenance routine. Reward them with coupons, discounts, and freebies.
Benefits of implementing a loyalty program
A. A loyalty program will keep your customers coming back. B. Attract customers from a competing local business that's not as generous.
10. Implement a referral program to reach more customers
Use your loyalty program as a springboard for your referral program. Reward your existing customers when they refer family, friends, and colleagues with prizes, discounts, and loyalty points.
Set specific referral goals for customers and notify them via social media, email, and SMS.
Benefits of having a referral program
A. Grow your customer base. B. Turn existing customers into advocates.
11. Participate in local community events to showcase your services
Participate in local events like donation drives, festivals, fundraisers, and auto industry-specific trade shows. Set up a stall with printed materials. And offer discounts and promotions. This is an interactive form of a marketing plan.
Benefits of participating in local events
A. Expose your services to the local community. B. Build goodwill towards your business.
12. Film auto repair videos for DIY enthusiasts
Many diehard car fans prefer to repair their own vehicles instead of driving them to the repair shop. A few marketing ideas are to film several DIY repair videos and post them on YouTube and TikTok.
Benefits of using videos for the enthusiast market
A. Build trust with enthusiasts. B. Reel in DIY enthusiasts when car issues are beyond their capabilities.
13. Always follow up with customers that visit your repair shop
Follow up, even if a customer visits your auto repair shop for a run-of-the-mill service. Thank them with SMS text messages and emails. Send reminders for future maintenance.
Benefits of regularly following up with customers
A. It shows that you care for your customers and helps build loyalty. B. Customers have an additional reason to visit again after you provide them with an offer.
Strategies to retain existing customers
Apply the following strategies to retain your existing customers:
- Implement a loyalty program.
- Follow up with all your customers via SMS and email marketing.
- Offer deals via coupon marketing and tailor special offers.
- Engage with customers regularly on social media and answer their car repair questions.
Trends in auto repair marketing in 2023
Apart from digital marketing gaining more prominence, check out these trends in the auto repair industry:
- AI: Complementing AI tools and chatbots with your manual workflow will help your marketing efforts by collecting and analyzing customer data.
- Personalization: Customizing marketing messages based on customer preferences, past interactions, and vehicle history will become more prevalent.
- Subscription services: Offer subscription-based plans or membership programs, like discounted services, priority scheduling, and exclusive offers to encourage customer loyalty.
What are the best platforms for advertising auto repair services?
The best platforms for advertising your auto repair shop are:
Challenges in auto repair marketing
In the auto repair industry, marketing can be quite challenging. Here are some of the key challenges auto repair businesses face regarding marketing and our solutions:
Challenge 1: It is very competitive
Solution 1: Identify a USP that sets the auto repair business apart from competitors. Specialize in specific vehicle makes or types to target a niche market.
Challenge 2: Rapid technological advancements
Solution 2: Invest in ongoing training for technicians to stay up-to-date with the latest automotive technologies and repair techniques.
Challenge 3: Managing online reputation and responding to reviews is time-consuming
Solution 3: Try offering incentives like discounts and loyalty points. Monitor online reviews and respond promptly and professionally to positive and negative feedback.
Power of online reviews in building trust for your auto repair business
Happy customers are likelier to leave glowing reviews if you provide top-notch service. Positive reviews will boost your auto repair shop’s online reputation.
- Encourage satisfied customers to provide testimonials and reviews.
- Offer satisfaction guarantees to give potential customers the confidence to choose the business.
- Address reviews and respond promptly and professionally to both positive and negative feedback.
Case study of marketing done right with Birdeye
Birdeye helps businesses achieve their marketing goals seamlessly.
Take for example how Waterstone Mortgage uses Birdeye to make customer experience a competitive advantage. They took the help of Birdeye in their locations across 21 states.
Prior to using Birdeye Reviews, Surveys, Benchmarking and Insights, Waterstone Mortgage did not have a platform to oversee the online reputation management of their individual branches and loan originators.
That’s when they shifted to Birdeye to collect feedback, build and manage reputation properly.
Ever since using Birdeye, they have clocked:
- 338% increase in reviews and ratings
- 39% response rate for their surveys
FAQs on auto repair marketing
Auto repair marketing combines digital and real-world marketing strategies to generate leads, increase sales, and spread brand awareness. Your business won’t grow without it.
Your website, local community events, email, SMS, review sites, Google Ads, Google Business Profile, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Yelp, and YouTube are marketing channels that will grow your business.
Improving SEO, especially local SEO, goes a long way toward increasing brand awareness. A way to boost local SEO is by claiming the Google Business listing and managing it via Google Business Profile.
Post content, allow users to post UGC, and engage with users to leverage social media for your auto repair shop. Having an active social media presence helps boost trust and brand awareness.
Yes, using specific keywords, segmenting email subscribers, and PPC ads let you target a specific audience. It’s not always easy. And you may need an expert to help you pull it off.
Email marketing is one of the cheapest ways to reach customers. Email works great as a communication, promotional, and lead-generation tool.
Many consumers have trust issues with repair shops. That’s why an online reputation management strategy with trustworthy content is so important.
Marketing your business effectively with Birdeye
Your auto shop marketing strategy can make or break your online – and offline – reputation. Your strategy can include a variety of marketing methods. We’ve given you the best 13 methods to get you started.
Whether you’re a small business or a multi-location brand, find out how Birdeye can make your marketing more effective.