What is a social listening tool?
Social listening tool – These are tools that help you identify and track conversations happening on social media about a brand, product or service, in order to respond promptly when information or support is needed. Customers can (and do) speak freely about their experiences with other customers on social channels, so to get new customers and keep them coming back, businesses need to join these conversations in real-time.
Where to start with Social Media Listening
When’s the best time to start? Now. Whether you’re just getting started on social channels or you’ve been online for years, the sooner you tune into the buzz, the better.
The unpredictable, light-speed world of social media might seem overwhelming. Not everyone talking about your brand will tag you in their post, so how do you filter through the noise? To minimize chaos, use keyword-based social listening. First, you should develop a basic understanding of the keywords surrounding your business and your industry. A great tool for mapping out keywords is Google’s Keyword planner.
Social Media Listening Essentials
Besides keywords, what key topics should you focus on? These may seem obvious, but you can’t leave any of them out:
- Brand mentions
- Niche market
Use these as a starting point. As you start listening, you might discover other critical areas to add to the list.
Benefits of Social Listening
Social media listening is the process of identifying [real-time] conversations happening on social media about a product, or a brand so you can respond in a timely manner, and accordingly. So you’re taking all this time to consistently monitor these endless streams of chatter. What do you get out of it? Here are a few benefits of basic social media listening:
- Demonstrate thought leadership by sharing expert knowledge when it’s needed and appropriate
- Spot emerging customer satisfaction trends and flag potential pain points
- Identify frequently asked customer questions
- Discover which sites your customers and your competitors’ customers are most active on. Are they the same? Could you benefit from building a stronger presence on any of them?
- Find influencers in your niche market. Check out their audiences.
- Keep an eye on existing competitors. What terms are their customers using?
- Discover new competitors
- Learn where you rank, both locally and in your industry
- Boost traffic to your company website
- Share company videos, blog posts, and other resources in your responses when helpful and appropriate
- Build trust with regular customer engagement
- Establish brand identity: keep your voice, values, and mission clear and consistent
- Pinpoint areas in your business operations that could use improvement
- Retain customers with proactive customer service
- Recruit and hire people that fit in well with your brand values
- Plan future content based on high-engagement conversations
- Find engaging User Generated Content that your brand hasn’t been tagged in
- Discover sales opportunities
- Prevent negative reviews by jumping into discussions before problems escalate
- Identify where a need exists that your brand could satisfy
Your ticket to tracking
A social listening tool lets you take social media listening even further. BirdEye’s Social Ticketing feature lets you not only track all your company’s relevant social mentions in real-time but also convert mentions into support tickets. You can assign tickets to specific employees and track their resolution time to make sure nothing slips through the cracks. Keeping tabs on individual conversations is crucial, but what about underlying satisfaction trends across all commentary? BirdEye also runs Natural Language Processing (NLP) on social media mentions, turning mountains of feedback into clear insights. This way, you can track sentiment around categories, topics, and specific keywords, then zoom in on the root cause driving this sentiment.
BirdEye gives you access to your competitors’ NLP insights as well so you can know your entire market and stay ahead of the game.
Equipped with the right tools, strategy, and mindset, you can use social media listening to easily turn your social presence into your competitive advantage.
You may also want to read Social media customer service is the new online marketing
Benefits of social media listening – Businesses use social media listening platforms to improve customer service, reach new audiences, get feedback on products/services, and monitor questions/
Social listening tool – With BirdEye, it’s easier than ever to get new authentic customer reviews, building trust that leads to more sales. In today’s reputation economy, BirdEye provides the eyes, ears, and algorithms necessary to create the five-star customer experiences that keep your business at the top.