Text messaging isn’t optional – it’s essential. Studies show that 89% of customers want to be able to message businesses. To adapt to this new reality, Google has introduced click-to-message.
Simply put, Google’s click-to-message allows customers to contact businesses via text on both Google Ads and Google My Business. This opens a whole new communication channel for you to get new leads and grow business.
Related: For a comprehensive list of tips on how to generate more leads with Google My Business, check out this audio guide. It covers everything you need to know in less than 20 minutes.
Let’s talk about how the feature works and how you can get started.
Table of contents
What is Google click-to-message?
Click-to-message gives customers the ability to start a text conversation instantly. When a Google user clicks the text button, their mobile device will automatically launch their default text app with your number pre-filled. The feature makes it easier than ever for your prospects and customers to get in contact with you and get the information they need in real-time.
How to set up click-to-message on Google Ads
Here’s how you can get started with click-to-message on your Google Ads account.
- Login to your Google Ads account.
- Go to the Campaigns tab, then find the campaign where you want to set up click-to-message.
- Click the button labeled “Extension”.
- Scroll down to the next screen and find the button labeled “New message extension”.
- Last but not least, fill in your information including your business name, phone number, extension text (your CTA), and message text (this is what gets pre-filled in the customer’s texting field when they click the button).
How to set up click-to-message on Google My Business
Want customers to be able to text you when they find you on organic search? Here’s how you can add click-to-message to your Google My Business profile.
- Login to your Google My Business account.
- Click the “Messages” tab on the left side.
- Click “Turn on Messaging and enter your phone number.
- Verify that your number can receive text messages.
- Now, customers should be able to message your business on Google search.
Tips for texting your customers
Not sure how to text your customers effectively? Here are a few tips that can help you get started.
The reason why more customers are turning to text messaging is that it offers quick and reliable communication. If you take too long to respond to a customer message, they might grow impatient and go elsewhere to get their questions answered. Plus, your average response time is visible in your Google My Business listing.
Text messaging is an opportunity to collect feedback and improve the overall customer experience. If you’ve resolved a customer issue through text, be sure to request feedback through a review or a customer survey. This feedback can help you better deal with similar queries in the future.
Ask customers to add you to contact list
Texting is a great way to promote sales and deepen your relationship with customers. We recommend that you text your customers your contact details so they can add you to their contact lists. Customers are more likely to respond to messages from numbers that they recognize.
How to text your customers effectively
Looking for more information about how you can text your customers effectively? Check out our State of SMS Marketing in 2021 Report. We analyzed data from our 90,000 customers base to find out the best time and days to text customers for different industries.
Originally published Feb 19, 2021 1:29 PM, updated Oct 24, 2022