If you’re a marketer or business owner looking to stay ahead of the competition, understanding social media demographics is essential. As these platforms progress, the type of social media user will continue to shift. Staying up-to-date with the latest trends can make all the difference in developing a successful social media strategy.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into the latest social media demographics, including the average age of social media users for each platform and what these insights mean for your brand’s social media presence.
Table of contents
- The numbers behind social media marketing demographics
- The growth of social media
- The most popular social media platforms
- Specific demographics for social media platforms
- Emerging social media platforms
- Frequently asked questions about social media demographics
- Scale your social media presence with Birdeye
The numbers behind social media marketing demographics
Social media demographics refer to the study of who is using social media. Categories include:
With over 4.26 billion active social media users worldwide, social media has become a powerful tool that can help businesses reach their target audiences. However, to create effective campaigns, businesses should have accurate demographics for social media users are crucial in identifying the most relevant networks and content.
For example, take age groups on social media. If a brand’s target audience is primarily females aged 18-24, they most likely benefit by focusing their efforts on platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat. On the other hand, if a brand’s target audience is millennial males, research tells us that they should focus marketing efforts on Facebook.
The growth of social media
Social media has experienced exponential growth in recent years. In 2005, only 7% of American adults were using social media, while in 2021, around 70% use social media to connect. This significant increase in usage indicates the widespread acceptance of social media and its impact on our daily lives.
Social media platforms have made it easier for people to connect with family and friends, share interests, and engage with content. This lets people build communities, find support networks, and connect with their favorite brands.
The most popular social media platforms
Demographics of social media users have changed over the years, with millions of people worldwide now using it for entertainment, communication, shopping, and business purposes. However, not all social media platforms are created equal. Each has its own unique audience and features.
For example, if you check social media usage by age, you’ll discover that older users tend to favor Facebook, Pinterest, and Linkedin, while younger users tend to lean toward platforms like TikTok and Snapchat.
Facebook and YouTube are the most used platforms
According to recent social media statistics, Facebook and YouTube are the most popular platforms, with over 2 billion monthly active users each. They allow users to connect with loved ones as well as research their favorite brands. Both Facebook and YouTube offer a variety of business features to help create content, reach out to customers, and promote their products and services.
Specific demographics for social media platforms
Understanding social media channel demographics is crucial for developing an effective marketing strategy. Let’s explore social media usage by demographic.
Facebook user demographics and usage
- Facebook is the biggest social media network in the world.
- As of 2021, the platform is attracting 2.91 billion monthly active users.
- The largest age group on Facebook is 25-34, representing 24.1% of the total user base.
- Users aged 18-24 and 35-44 make up 19.3% and 18.5%, respectively.
- Facebook’s audience is 56.8% male and 43.2% female.
- Facebook’s users from India, the United States of America, and Indonesia represent the platform’s largest audiences.
- On average, Facebook users spend 33 minutes per day on the platform, making it one of the most actively used social media platforms.
- According to the Pew Research Center, 35% of teens are either using YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook, “almost constantly.”
Instagram user demographics and usage
- Instagram has over 2 billion active users per month, making it one of the most recognizable social media platforms globally.
- Instagram’s target audience demographics have evolved over the years, and today the largest user group is 25-34 year-olds.
- The platform’s most common audience is mainly Millennials and Gen Z, who prefer fast and visually appealing content that can be consumed on the go.
- Instagram is widely used for shopping and e-Commerce.
- Users can discover and purchase products directly within the app through the shop tab or shopping tags on posts.
- Many brands use it as a platform for marketing and partnering with businesses and influencers to promote their services and products.
Twitter user demographics and usage
- Twitter mainly has a male, Millennial user base and fewer daily users when compared to other social media platforms.
- However, it’s still vital for businesses and marketers to consider.
- Based on recent statistics, Twitter has 211 million daily active users.
- They spend an average of 3.5 minutes per session on the platform.
- One of the unique aspects of Twitter is its reputation for hosting heated political debates and conversations.
- This can make it an attractive platform for individuals and brands looking to discuss social issues.
- Twitter can also be a good platform for business-to-business (B2B) brands and male-oriented products or services due to its user base and the types of conversations on the platform.
It’s important to note that Twitter may not be the best fit for every brand or business. Careful consideration of your target audience and the type of content you want to share is crucial when deciding which social media platforms to use.
LinkedIn user demographics and usage
- LinkedIn is a social media platform that caters to professionals and job seekers.
- LinkedIn has over 875 million members worldwide, making it one of the largest social networks.
- The largest age group on the platform is between 25-34 years old.
- The average age on LinkedIn is slightly higher than on other social media platforms because it’s mainly used for professional purposes.
- The gender distribution on LinkedIn is 48% female and 52% male.
- 40% of LinkedIn users interact with the platform every week. This level of engagement is relatively high for a professional networking site.
- LinkedIn offers unique opportunities for B2B companies, executives, and job seekers because it caters more to professional networking
- LinkedIn’s unique features, like long-form postings, professional groups, and analytics tools, make it an effective platform for businesses looking to generate leads and drive sales.
- Additionally, businesses can also leverage the platform to create awareness around their product or service by sharing content and interacting with followers and potential customers.
Pinterest user demographics and usage
- Pinterest is a popular social media channel that focuses on exchanging ideas related to hobbies, interests, and projects.
- The social network has 431 million monthly active users worldwide.
- The largest age group using the platform is between 50 and 64 years old, totaling 38% of all users.
- Women also make up nearly 78% of all Pinterest users.
- For businesses targeting the leisure and hobby sectors, Pinterest is an ideal platform.
- Its unique focus on exchanging ideas and inspirations makes it an excellent social media marketing channel for businesses that offer products or services that cater to this particular niche.
YouTube user demographics and usage
- YouTube is the world’s largest video-sharing platform, with over 2.5 billion monthly active users.
- YouTube’s diverse user base spans various ages of social media users and demographics, making it an ideal platform for content creators and businesses wanting to reach a global audience.
- The largest represented age group on YouTube is 15-35.
- This age group has the highest reach and engagement rates, with a preference for entertainment, music, and lifestyle content.
- The platform’s user base is 53.9% male and 46.1% female.
- YouTube remains a popular platform with content spanning various topics and genres.
While YouTube enjoys a broad appeal, it’s essential to define your target audience and create content that resonates with their interests and preferences if you want to move the needle with your marketing efforts on this channel. Understanding YouTube’s demographics and usage patterns can help you tailor your content strategy to maximize your brand’s opportunities.
TikTok user demographic data and usage
- TikTok is a video-sharing social network that lets users create and share content using filters, popular music, and live streaming.
- The platform has over 1 billion monthly active users.
- Most users are between 10-19 years old, accounting for 25% of U.S.-based TikTok users.
- Currently, it’s among the most widely used social media platforms worldwide.
- 61% of users are female and 39% male.
- Like Pinterest, TikTok has a higher percentage of female users.
- TikTok is a popular platform for many teenagers.
- They’re spending a significant amount of time scrolling through the “For You” page, which recommends videos based on their viewing history and engagement.
- Most people use the platform for entertainment purposes.
- Many users also aspire to achieve viral fame by uploading their own videos. This has resulted in a new ecosystem of online video content.
Emerging social media platforms
As social media continues to grow, new platforms are emerging to cater to specific interests and niches that differ from those of the more “traditional” social media platforms.
Social media usage by demographic is constantly in flux as people move to other platforms based on popularity and current interests. Below are some of the emerging social media platforms that are gaining popularity in 2023.
Discord is a messaging and voice chat platform initially designed for gamers. It allows users to create their own servers where they can chat with friends and join different communities related to their interests. Recently, Discord has expanded beyond the gaming community and now serves as a platform for various groups, from artists and writers to music lovers and entrepreneurs.
Twitch is a live streaming platform that primarily focuses on gaming as well as music, art, and other creative content. Like Discord, the platform has begun making moves to broaden its user base.
Twitch allows users to broadcast live content to a global audience and interact with viewers through live chat. It has become a popular platform for marketers to connect with influencers to showcase their brands and build followers.
Patreon is a membership-based platform that allows creators to earn money from their fans through monthly subscriptions. Creators offer exclusive content to their subscribers, such as behind-the-scenes looks, early access to content, and personalized messages.
Recently, Patreon has become a popular platform for content creators like artists, musicians, podcasters, and other creators to monetize their work and build a dedicated fan base.
Caffeine is a live-streaming platform that attracts 21 million monthly active users. The platform focuses on social interaction and community building. It lets users host their own shows and interact with viewers through live chat and other features.
Caffeine has a variety of content, including gaming, talk shows, and live events with the purpose of creating an interactive and engaging experience for users.
Supernova is a platform that some publications, like TechCrunch, believe could be an “ethical alternative to social media giants.” It aims to create a more intimate and authentic social media experience where users can connect with others through their own, authentic voice.
The platform focuses on audio-based social networking, and users can join different rooms to listen to live conversations or participate in discussions.
As these emerging social media platforms continue to grow, they offer marketing professionals unique opportunities that differ from traditional platforms like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
Frequently asked questions about social media demographics
Social media platform demographics on social media refer to the characteristics of users on a particular platform, such as age, gender, location, education, and income. Understanding this information can help businesses optimize their social media marketing strategies to reach their target audience demographics.
The most active demographic on social media depends on the platform. Generally, younger generations, such as millennials and Gen Z, are the most active. This age group represents the largest proportion of users on popular platforms.
The five types of social media users are:
+ Casual users
+ Active users
+ Creators, and
A targeted social media audience are individuals who share specific characteristics and behaviors, which brands can use to tailor content that resonates with their needs. This approach fosters a deeper connection between brands and their audience.
Scale your social media presence with Birdeye
With Birdeye Social, you can publish, monitor, and report across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and Google for all brands and locations. Book some time with a Birdeye expert to learn more about Birdeye’s unified platform.
This blog post is part of our Social Media Management Guide