Google reviews are an indispensable part of any business’s marketing strategy. Not only do reviews on Google increase the trust customers place in your brand, but it also helps to showcase the quality of your products and services to a much larger audience. Google is the most visible review site on the Internet, with over 71% of online reviews written on the platform.
The easier businesses can make the process of leaving a Google review for a customer, the higher the chances are of collecting more Google reviews. If you are a business owner and want to know how to leave a Google review, then read on.
Improve your chances of generating more Google reviews by sharing this guide with your customers. And if you want to know more about managing your Google reviews, listen to this quick 20-minute audio guide that covers everything you need to know.
Table of contents
- Why businesses need Google reviews
- How Google reviews impact customers
- Information to know before leaving a Google review
- How to leave a Google review on desktop
- How to leave a review on mobile
- How to edit a Google review
- How to delete a Google review
- Can you leave an anonymous Google review?
- How to leave a Google review without a Google account
- Frequently asked questions on how to leave a Google review
- Grow your google reviews with Birdeye
Why businesses need Google reviews
While there are thousands of review sites online, Google reviews are undoubtedly the leader and have a significant impact on the success of every business. By getting more Google reviews, businesses can:
- Improve search rankings on Google
- Feature in the local map pack results thus improving click throughs
- Build credibility in the market, making lead conversions easier
- Grow a strong brand in the industry due to higher ratings and testimonial volume
- Make operational improvements based on genuine feedback from customers.
- Display an accurate picture of what the customer experience looks like.
Bottom line: Google reviews can help you grow your business. Learn more about the importance of Google reviews for local businesses with our detailed article.
How Google reviews impact customers
Most businesses need help persuading their customers to leave a Google review. To remedy this, you can share the following benefits customers gain just by leaving a Google review.
Influence purchase decisions
Google reviews help customers find the best product or service for their needs. Google chooses businesses with higher review volume, star ratings, and recent reviews to answer “best <product/service> near me queries. This means that by leaving a Google review, customers have the power to influence many purchase decisions based on their experience.
Accurate search results
Google reviews provide detailed information about a business from existing customers. The search engine scans customer reviews and returns the best possible match for a search query. By leaving a Google review, customers help make the search process easier for potential and returning customers to find you online.
Creates a feedback loop
Businesses value customer appreciation. If a customer is happy with your service, you must encourage them to leave a Google review for your business. If an unhappy customer leaves a Google review, businesses can address those concerns and benefit from the feedback loop. Real-life experiences help potential customers better understand and make informed decisions.
Information to know before leaving a Google review
Your customers should keep the following things in mind before they write a Google review for a business.
Google reviews display your profile
When someone leaves a Google review for a business, the platform displays it with a name next to it. If the customer has added their name and other information to their Google account, visitors can see this and see the other reviews they have written.
Google forbids fake reviews
Google takes the authenticity of reviews very seriously. The platform forbids fake reviews, spam, and unprofessional content in reviews. Google reviews are moderated, and if they do not pass the Google quality check, they will not be published.
Local Guide program
Google rewards regular review contributors through its “Local Guide” program. To qualify for this, customers must leave high-quality reviews and help Google improve its search algorithm by providing details of the establishment. Local Guides get points that take them to higher levels within the program and grant access to Google features and rewards from partners.
How to leave a Google review on desktop
Now that we know how critical Google reviews are for businesses, here is a quick guide for your customers on how to leave a Google review for a company on a desktop.
Before we go any further, make sure that your customer has signed into their email account.
1. The customer must find the business’s Google Business Profile. Usually, they’ll need to type in the business’s name and the city where it’s located in Google search.
2. Next, they must click the “Write a Review” button on the business’s Google Business Profile panel.
3. A “Rate and Review” pop-up will appear on their screen. They can leave a star rating, a description, and a photo (the description and photo are optional).
4. Once they are done with the review, they can click post, and submit the Google review.
The review will go live once it passes Google’s moderation desk.
How to leave a review on mobile
Your customers can also leave a Google review from their mobile devices. This process makes it easy for people to leave a Google review for a company on the go. If your business is not on Google Maps yet, check out our detailed article on how to add a business on Google Maps.
This is how to do it:
- To leave a Google review on mobile, customers must open the Google Maps app on their mobile devices.
- Next, they must type the business’s name in the Google Maps search bar.
- Once they find the relevant business, they must click on that to open the Google Business profile.
- Next, they must click the tab labeled reviews.
- The reviews tab takes them to a section called “Rate & Review,” where they can add a star rating and their comments (optional)
- Next, customers must click the “Post” button to submit the Google review.
How to leave a Google review on Android
If your customers use an Android-based phone, then they can use their mobile phones to leave a Google review for your business via Google Maps.
All they have to do is to locate the Google Maps app on their Android phone and follow the steps mentioned in the section above. Customers are usually logged into their Google account and can see the businesses they previously visited, so this is an easy process to follow.
How to leave a Google review on iPhone
If your customers use an iPhone, they too can leave a Google review for your business via the Google Maps app on their mobile device.
The Google Maps app is not preinstalled on an iPhone, so they would have to start by installing the application from the App store.
Next, they have to log in using their gmail address and get started with the app.
Once they are in, they can follow the steps in the previous section to look up the business and leave a Google review.
How to edit a Google review
Sometimes, your customers may have left a review with just a few words or remembered they wanted to add more detail to it. If you want to help your customers edit a Google review they left for your business, this is the process:
Customers can edit Google reviews via the Google Maps app (mobile or desktop version).
On a desktop:
- Customers can find the reviews they left for businesses by clicking on the Menu option in the left corner under the “Reviews” section, next to “Contribute.”
- The next step is to locate the review they want to edit, click on the three dots icon, and find the “Edit review” option.
- They must click on edit review and add or remove information from the review.
- Click on post to submit.
On a mobile device:
- Customers must open their Google Maps app and click on the “Contribute” tab available in the bottom menu bar.
- Within the “Contribute” section, they must click on the “view your profile” option to see their past reviews.
- They can now select the review they wish to edit and proceed to do so by clicking the three-dot menu next to the review.
- Click on post to submit.
The edited review will now be available for everyone to see.
How to delete a Google review
Customers may leave incorrect or overtly negative reviews for businesses at times. Businesses can reach out to customers directly to resolve their concerns or cite the inaccuracies in the review.
When this happens, customers may want to delete their old reviews but should be aware of how to do it.
The process to delete a Google review is a bit similar to that of editing a Google review:
- Either on a desktop or a mobile device, customers will locate the review on their Google Maps profile.
- Once the review is found, customers click on the three dots menu and click on the “Delete the review” option.
- The review is deleted upon confirmation.
Please note that customers must delete reviews of their own accord, and businesses must not force them to do so.
If you want to remove a spam review or an unfair review, you can contact the Google team to get it removed. Check our detailed guide on how a business can request to delete a review to know more.
Can you leave an anonymous Google review?
Google no longer allows anonymous reviews and removed all previous ones without a name. There are a few reasons for this.
First of all, Google wants to make sure that the reviews are coming from real people. This helps to prevent fake reviews, which can artificially impact the ratings of a business.
Secondly, Google knows that people are more likely to be honest if their name is attached to their review. Businesses are more likely to get genuine feedback if reviewers can’t hide behind anonymity.
Know more about the end of anonymous reviews and how it contributed to increased trust in Google reviews with our detailed blog post.
How to leave a Google review without a Google account
To maintain the authenticity of reviews, Google has eliminated the ability for customers to leave anonymous Google reviews. Still, customers can leave a review on Google Maps without a Google account.
Here’s how :
- Customers must go to Google Maps and search for the business they want to review using the search bar.
- If the customer is not logged into a Gmail account, the screen will prompt you to do so. If the customer does not have a Google account, they can connect their other email address to Google Maps.
- Google will allow the customer to use Google Maps once they have verified their non-Google email address with the confirmation code.
- Once the customer has access to Google Maps, they must find the business and leave a business review on Google per the process described above.
By simplifying the process of leaving a Google review for their customers, businesses can build a high volume of reviews with ease in a short time itself.
Frequently asked questions on how to leave a Google review
If you are facing difficulties leaving a Google review, it could be because the Google Business profile is no longer available, or you may be trying from a mobile browser.
Recheck the business details and try from a desktop or Google maps app.
Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
Tap the Contribute section and find the place you wish to review.
Tap write a review for the selected business.
Leave a star rating and your comments based on your experience.
Anybody can leave a Google review for a business with a valid email address.
Customers can leave a Google review on a business’s Google Business Profile and Google Maps listing. You can use a desktop or a mobile device (Android and iOS).
Google reviews don’t go away unless the reviewers delete them or Google removes them due to spam detection. If a Google Business Profile is deleted, then the reviews of that business go away.
Yes, requesting, writing, and responding to a Google review is free. Google does not allow buying Google reviews or paying customers to write one for the business.
Grow your google reviews with Birdeye
Consistent review generation, monitoring, and analytics is the key to a successful business reputation management program. Higher the volume of Google reviews, better are your chances of featuring higher in local search results.
Automate review requests and manage all your reviews from a single easy-to-use dashboard with Birdeye, the #1 review management tool in the industry.
Sign up for a free demo now.
This blog post is part of our Complete Google Reviews Guide:
- How to keep track of my reviews on Google
- Reviews not showing up on Google? Here's what you can do.
- A Simple Guide to Manage Google Reviews
- Are Google reviews reliable?
- 3 easy ways to add Google reviews on your website
- Demystifying Google Business Reviews
Google Reviews Related Training